Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Non Resolutions for 2013


It's a new year and time to think about all the things we want to accomplish, change, and focus on for the next twelve months.  I wasn't going to write a resolutions post.  I don't do resolutions, because I think I set myself up for failure when I do.  But, in reading some great blog posts about resolutions, I came across two that inspired me.

This one from Eyelah is about anti-resolutions.  Bad habits she has and doesn't plan to change.  I love this kind of resolution because I have lots of bad habits and no matter how many times I resolve to change them, I know I won't change.  I resolve NOT to change the following.
     *  I don't make my bed every day and it doesn't bother me.  It drives Michael nuts, so I pull up the covers, sort of, and leave it at that.
     *  I stay up way too late.  I'm a night owl, it's how I'm wired, and it's not going to change.
     *  During the cold weather months I don't hang up my coat or jacket.  I throw it across the back of a kitchen chair.  It will probably get hung up in the coat closet after summer starts.
   

This post from Lori at Studio Waterstone is about doing more of what you already love doing.  So I resolve to
     *  create more
     *  spend more time getting to know my camera
     *  read more
     *  do more that makes me feel good about myself
     *  have more tea parties even if it's just me.

  What are your feelings about new year resolutions?

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

xo Annette xo

5 comments:

  1. Hi Annette,

    I don't do any :)
    I do that which I feel good about! I like setting goals, however, and I have already accomplished one of my goals today!
    hugs,
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, this is perfect! I don't do "official" resolutions, either, but I always have something in my mind about change I want to make in the new year. This year I decided to set my expectations for myself LOWER and spend more time living in (and enjoying!) the moment and less time acting like a greyhound chasing the tin rabbit of self-imposed goals and deadlines. And I will NOT be eating any cooked carrots, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of anti-resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post sort of reminds me of the serenity prayer...Accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change those I can, and the wisdom to know the difference :)
    We have to accept ourselves for who we are.

    PS...I don't make the bed or hang my coat either...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the "anti-resolutions" and I could not believe how much yours sound like me. I often find myself leaving a rumpled bed - it seems a waste of time to make it up, all tidy and smooth when it's just going to be messed up again. . .that never ending cycle like washing dishes or doing laundry :).
    I too am a night owl and stay up at least an hour or two after my hubby has gone off to bed - he usually retires sometime between 10 and 11 pm.
    And during the cooler months of the year there is always a sweater of mine draped over the back of a dinning room chair - ready for me should I feel a slight chill or need to go outdoors.

    I also like your resolutions and the tea parties sound like a lovely idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.