Monday, November 2, 2009

An Apron Made and Decisions To Make






Can you believe it?  I actually sat at my sewing machine and sewed up this fun apron!  It's been way too long since I've sewn anything.  This is one of those aprons that come printed on a fabric panel and all you do is cut out the pieces and sew it up.  I added a blue lining to give it a more finished look.  Very quick and easy...just the way I like it!      

As much as I love sewing I'm having the hardest time treating So Many Memories as a business and not a hobby.  I'm unorganized, unfocused and undisciplined...the perfect ingredients for failure.  This is how I am with most things in my life too. 

I started a thread in the Etsy forums today asking, "what does your business day look like".  The response was very helpful to say the least.  It seems that I should set some daily, weekly and monthly goals and make up a daily schedule to reach those goals.  I should spend less time on the computer and more time at the sewing machine!  Having some structure to my day will benefit myself as well as my business.  I'm tired of going to bed every night feeling like I wasted so much time and accomplished nothing.  By this time tomorrow night, I hope to have a plan in place to start growing this business I've always dreamed of!

If you have an Etsy shop, is it a business or a hobby for you?  Do you work at home?  What does your business day look like?  How do you stay focused and organized?  I would truly appreciate any suggestions and insights  you might have.  Thanks!


6 comments:

  1. So, I'd totally love to have this apron. It'd go in my kitchen. *nod* Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Lovely apron! :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute apron. As for my "business day", it varies. I definitely need to come up with a better business plan if I'm going to turn this into more of a hobby though.

    Right now I try to get on Etsy every morning long enough to list at least one item and promote it a little. A few days a week (right now, it's more like 1-2) I write in my blog and promote that, and I take pictures of new items, if needed. I do all my creating at night after the kids go to bed because they'd be into everything if I had it out while they're up (I've tried).

    I noticed on the thread you posted that a lot of the tips said to make a schedule, get off the computer, etc., but only one person posted an actual schedule of their day. I'd be curious to see what sorts of actual tasks people do during the day, and how long they devote to those tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super cute apron!
    Thank you for your nice comment on my blog!

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 42PurpleElephants,
    I would like to see more actual schedules too. In the meantime, I think it will be trial and error until I find what works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are preaching to the choir ! I was sure with my littlest in school full day I would have the time to even OPEN my shop . Well jokes on me I am home less now then ever. I really need to get on the ball. I also get that same UGH where did the day go feeling - AWFUL !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.