Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When a Granddaughter and A Hurricane Change Your Plans

I had grand plans for the month of August.  I was going to focus on sewing and reopen my Etsy shop the first of September.  It didn't happen.  It wasn't for lack of trying though.

The first obstacle was going and spending a few days with my daughter and granddaughter.  Erin had bought a new sofa bed and wanted me to come and try it out!  In the past, I stayed at a hotel when visiting her so I was anxious to try out this new bed.  It would be nice to go and stay more than a night or two.  I stayed a few days and went home and two days later, Erin and Shylee came to spend the weekend with us.  Erin wanted to leave Shylee with me for a week so she could focus on looking for a job since she had enrolled Shylee in preschool.  I agreed to keep her and then one week turned into two weeks.



I started working on a sachet while Shylee was here, but that was all.  And three weeks from August was already gone.  I had another week and I knew I could get something done but it wasn't meant to be.

 Two days after Shylee went home, I was making the trip back up there to see my son!  He was going to leave for a month long vacation and it had already been a month since I had seen him.  If I wanted to see him before he left then I was going to have to meet him for dinner one evening.  The particular day I chose to go up there was the day we had the earthquake.  I'm driving along when the car starts acting funny.  It was kind of like rocking back and forth and felt like the traction control kept coming on.  I had just gotten new tires so I just thought I would  remember to mention it to Michael.  Five minutes later my phone was going nuts with text messages from everybody wanting to know if I was okay because there was an earthquake and did  I feel it.  So THAT was what the rocking car was all about!

I spent the next day recovering from the day trip.  It happened to be the Wednesday before Hurricane Irene hit on Saturday.  The power went out on Saturday night and came back on Monday night.  We had two trees uprooted and one of them took out the neighbors fence.  We were very lucky.  Every yard in our neighborhood experienced down trees or limbs.  Power lines were down everywhere and I've never seen so many trees down at one time.  And they were huge old trees too.  There was flooding in the county and there are still homes and businesses without power.  It was scary and something I don't want to go through again.

Just so you know, there are a lot of photos and some of them were taken through the windshield of the car!
















This is the lawn of the community college




I'm hoping to make a few things and reopen my Etsy shop soon.  I'm not making any promises though!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are safe and well. Nature has some awesome powers and can do a lot of damage. John and I live in Florida and so far we've been pretty lucky. We moved from Miami to Sarasota, Florida just a few weeks before hurricane Andrew blew through and caused such devastation. Hurricane Charley was supposed to hit our area, so we were bracing for it and then he took a strange turn and plowed through Punta Gorda. I pray our good luck continues but one has no way of predicting these things. Unfortunately Sept. is the peak month of the hurricane season and right now eyes are on Katia. Hope she will behave herself and just continue to stroll on out to sea instead of heading for land.
    Your photos truly show the power that nature can unleash !!!

    I pray that this month will be kind to you and that you can get back on track making new items and get your shop updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such crazy damage!! I'm so glad you're okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those could have been taken here too EEkkkk worse week ever!!! I am so glad you guys are safe I too had intended to reopen the first week with all new goodies....pffft you know how that went.Can't complain as nothing actually hit us! xoxo I DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN EITHER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many trees down! It has been eventful weather-wise lately, hasn't it? Let's hope for a calmer September. Glad you got to spend more time with your cute granddaughter though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it sounds like you had a busy month. Being in your car during the earthquake must have been really weird, and then to have to experience the hurricane and all the downed trees. It seems to me you might need an extra break before you start working again.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I was amazed to see that telephone pole snapped right in half. I am glad you are safe and did not have damage. It must have been hard to have two full days with no power. We are so spoiled with our conveniences!! I like my AC and internet just fine, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is insane damage! I am glad you are all safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny how we make plans, but everything changes them?
    So glad you are ok!
    Sometimes I'm quite happy to live in the middle of Canada :) It might be cold in the winter, but we don't have earthquakes or hurricanes.

    Can't wait to see what you put in your shop when you open :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness Annette! So glad you were safe. Those photos are so disturbing.

    You need to come visit me and enter my giveaway to win $50.00 worth of gorgeous fabric!!! Would that put a smile on your face?

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are all safe. What a month you had. I hope you have been able to concentrate on your shop again and sewing :)

    Have a lovely day, T. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.